Opening page of Preface:
Some portions of the following pages were originally contributed to the Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy,
in a Paper read at a meeting of that body on 12th February, 1872,
"On the Identification of the Ancient Cemetery at
Loughcrew, Co. Meath, and
the Discovery of the Tomb of Ollamh Fodhla."
Our attempt to rescue from the domain of legend and romance the memories of
a locality, at one time the most famous in our island, and in so doing to
revive a faded and long forgotten page in early Irish History, is here
presented to our fellow countrymen, in the hope that it may be found not
only not uninteresting to them, but that it may be the means of inducing
others, in various localities, to turn their attention to, and to elucidate
whatever remains of Ireland's Ancient Relics may be still extant in their respective vicinities.
Our very grateful thanks are pre-eminently due to the late J. L. W. Naper,
Esq., D. L., who, from the time we commenced our antiquarian researches on
the Loughcrew Hills, in 1863, uniformly encouraged and aided us in supplying
the amount of manual labour necessary for carrying on the explorations,
without which friendly encouragement and patriotic help, whilst others
laughed at what appeared to them the foolish and childish occupation of a
"visionary antiquary" turning over old stones, no practical result would
probably ever have been arrived at. Had he lived to see it shown that the
greatest, the oldest, and the most important of the Ancient Royal Pagan
Cemeteries of Ireland existed on and around his own hills, we can only
imagine the amount of self-satisfaction with which he would have looked back
upon the part he took in contributing to restore the historic memories of the place.
Drawing of the backstone in Cairn T, the stone illuminated by the
Boyne Valley Tours
Private Tour with pick up and return to your accommodation.
Newgrange World Heritage site, the 10th century High Crosses at Monasterboice,
Hill of Tara the seat of the High Kings, Bective Abbey and Trim Castle
the largest Norman castle in Ireland